January 31, 2011

vintage here, vintage there: handmade edition

vintage here, vintage there

It's handmade for kids month over at Smile and Wave, so Rachel thought it would be fun to incorporate some handmade into our "vintage here, vintage there" for this week and I happily agreed! I haven't done much clothes making for the girls since having Soul, but I definitely do miss it! I was able to whip up a little something for True and Brave and the feeling of accomplishment after sewing a simple garment was just so satisfying. I may challenge myself to make them something once a week. After all, I have
so much fabric that I really need to work to get rid of it, so I better get sewing.

For True, I made her a simple dress from some vintage bed sheets that I have had forever! It has elastic at the top and waist and straps that tie over the shoulders. It took me no more than 45 minutes to make and is such a great style for Spring and Summer. I have many plans to make more just like this.
vintage here, vintage there


Brave was made a cute little skirt that is the easiest peasiest thing to do! I meant to draw directions on how to make it, but I will do that another time. Seriously though, even a beginning sewer could make this with her eyes closed!
vintage here, vintage there
To make an otherwise simple skirt a little more pretty, I just hand stitched on a vintage crocheted doily. It added the right amount of pretty!

I know these outfits are a bit more Spring and though it is still freezing in most places, the warmer weather has already started here. As much as I love dressing for the colder weather, I am so ready to wear light floral dresses and sandals. Lately, my mood has been much more 70's, though that typically isn't my era of choice. I am coveting some pretty flares like this or this, but I am getting an itching to attempt to make my own. How hard could it be, right?! Just have to find the right denim first.
vintage here, vintage there
We were going to go outside to take some pictures of the girls in their mama-made dress, but the dresses were so light and airy that it seemed more fitting for jumping on the bed. I don't know, that is just the feeling I got, so that is what we did! Or maybe I was too lazy to go outside...
vintage here, vintage therevintage here, vintage therevintage here, vintage therevintage here, vintage therevintage here, vintage therevintage here, vintage there
Brave was having the most fun and was the hardest one to tell to settle down (can you tell?), but there is just something about jumping on a bed that is so magical, right? Well, as long as no one bumps their head!

on me: skirt, vintage (my mom's when she was younger). shirt, target. necklace, handmade by me last year.
on True: dress, vintage fabric made by me.
on Brave: shirt, kohls. skirt, made by me.

Little Soulie was napping when all the jumping on the bed was going on, but here she is wearing a little mama made top that was sewn for her even before she was born! Of course, I didn't want to leave my baby out of this post.
vintage here, vintage there
on Soul: top, made by mama. leggings, target.

It is so fun having three little girls to sew for and dress up! It is like playing dolls, but they are so big and so much cuter and fun (well, with a bit of disobedience added in for extra measure). I am definitely going to put more clothes sewing time in my schedule, well, if I can find some time in my schedule. It is funny, cause if you don't have kids, you think "Oh wow! She gets to stay home all day and have fun sewing, playing, baking, and blogging. That is so dreamy!" What you don't see is all the diaper changing/potty making, tantrum throwing, time out putting, peacekeeping, housekeeping, mounds of clothes cleaning, dishes washing, constant crumb sweeping, and so on and so on. Despite all that, staying home is a bit dreamy, with all my mommy meltdowns and all!

my fave places to buy new fabric: reprodepot, joann's, sew mama sew, purl soho


Head "over there" and see what Rachel whipped out for the always adorable Ruby! Rachel was also one of Artful Blogging featured bloggers, so you will want to pick up your copy and read all about it! Thank you Rachel for this little handmade challenge, it made me miss sewing clothes for my girls and I definitely see a lot more of it in the near future!

vintage here, vintage there: week one
vintage here, vintage there: week two
vintage here, vintage there: week three, part one
vintage here, vintage there: week three, part two
vintage here, vintage there: week four
vintage here, vintage there: week five
vintage here, vintage there: everyday wear
vintage here, vintage there: outerwear
vintage here, vintage there: texas style
vintage here, vintage there: borrowed
vintage here, vintage there: family outing
vintage here, vintage there: what's in my bag?

23 comments:

  1. ahhh! you are so inspiring! beautiful vintage creations and i LOVE the jumping on the bed photos !!!
    have a great week rubyellen + fam!!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVEEEEE the yellow floral dress. so sweet. xoxo jcd
    http://cornflakedreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave really looks to be holding up her little sister roll! sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. probably the most inspiring blog post of all time!! i don't even have kids yet and i want to go sew some little dresses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you seriously have the most beautiful life. it may be a little messy sometimes but you are truly blessed with your gorgeous family. your photos are just so inspiring, thank you for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful! I wish I had True's dress in my size. I really like when you post some of your favorites from etsy, it helps me find new shops to love! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you like to shop at thrift stores for vintage clothing and items for the girls. We have a great thrift shop in my town. Last Saturday (and most Saturdays) was $1 a bag! I picked up a cute little dress size 5/6, 100% cotton, Cornell (as in April Cornell but for kids) that is primarily yellow with flowers, pretty blue trim, and a tie in the back blue sash, buttons all down the tuck-stitched front and two tuck-stitched pockets...cute cute cute! It cost me 25 cents! I will send it to you if you e-mail me your address. I'm
    anne.thompson@fairpoint.net. I am also willing to go back there and shop for you, Rachel and whoever else if you want if you give me sizes for kids, you, and your husband(they have a huge men's section with coats, suits, sweaters, etc.) and anyone else as long as you include a wish list or some specific guidelines. At $1 a bag, that could amount to quite a lot of clothing. It's a place I go to when I'm costuming a show for the local high school or community theatre. I have found some great stuff there and the price is certainly right!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love love the jumping on the bed projects!

    please do share your tutorial for the adorable dress you made true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i LOVE all of ya'll's outfits!!! you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i want True's dress for me! and the 70's are totally my style! luckily my mom saved a lot of her stuff!!! i LOVE LOVE LOVE your skirt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything you made for your girls!! All of you look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahahhaha brave is having the time of her life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the outfits but this post makes me want to go and jump on bed. Boy they were the days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these photos are soooo cool and the outfits are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the little sundress. Now I know what to do with those like new vintage sheets that are lurking at the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your links to the flares reminded me of when I was in elementary school and wanted to sew my pants into flares like my teen babysitter's! I had it all figured out, but my mom didn't let me do it. Yellow floral calico...that's all I'll say! The smiles got bigger when Mommy got into the action on those photos! ;) Enjoy your warmer temps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh those are all just darling, especially the dress! i realllly need to learn to sew before we have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruby,
    Both outfits are so adorable and the girls look so cute in it. It shows that they are loving their new dress & skirt. I missed those days making clothes for my daughter. Your photos are always too cute. Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable little dresses, and sweet models..thanks for the link and hope your little package arrives safely :)
    from Jane @littleteawagon

    ReplyDelete
  20. so cute and even more adorable on the kids... growing up my mom used to sew our clothes... i actually carried that talent into my high school years - making the majority of my clothes - but then somehow, somewhere I stopped...

    your posts always bring back such wonderful memories for me - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. kk- don't stop! pick it back up!!! but then again, with your job, i can't even imagine how you even have time for photography too?!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such cute clothes and babies jumping on the bed!!

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...