January 27, 2012

FAMILY MEALS: WEEK TWO

Week two almost done. Whew! I about threw in the towel with this meal planning thing because Ben and I had some miscommunication issues on what we needed for the meals. Totally still learning how to work with getting groceries ahead of time for the meals planned and so our planned meals started later this week. Though, I did cook an oven baked chicken on Monday, but didn't use a recipe and just went off what I learned from my mom once. Tuesday was for finishing Monday's leftovers.

family meal: week two
Cooking pork chops can be tricky because it can dry out quickly. I really like how simple the whole process for this meal was. All was done within 40 minutes and that sage rub on the pork chop really gave it a nice flavor. I was going to substitute the mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower, but I didn't communicate to Ben to get cauliflower, so we made do with potatoes. The recipe came out yummy indeed, though Ben did pick out the onions because there was a whole lot!

Thursday was for eating Cheddar BLT Burgers with Tarragon Russian Dressing and Sweet Potato Fries....
family meal: week two
Oh yummy! That sauce was really good! That mix of tarragon, parsley, and onions along with the other ingredients made this burger so delicious. The patty was plain and was just salted and peppered with sharp cheddar cheese on top, but it is the sauce that made this burger. Also, we didn't use the meat the recipe called for, but but use lean ground turkey instead and turkey bacon. Will definitely make that sauce again to accompany other burgers. For veggies, we had our trusty sweet potato fries. We coat them in extra virgin olive oil, season them with taco seasoning, stick them in the oven, and they always come out good.

Next week will be slightly tricky since it is the week leading up to the wedding and I have a feeling I may not be home as often, but I will still have my plan in placed just in case. Our freezer is fully stocked with chicken breast we bought on sale, so chicken will be the main attraction for the week.

Week of 1/30-2/3:
Monday: Chicken Piccata
Tuesday: Apple-Honey Drumsticks (and we will use chicken breast also)
Wednesday: Monday's leftovers
Thursday: Leftovers if we have any or Spaghetti (or something else really easy)
Friday: Rehearsal dinner (my sister gets married the next day! eeks!)

Anyone try out any of the recipes that I did this week? I try to get my family meal posts up on Thursday (a little later this week though), so if you want to join along, you have the weekend to make sure your kitchen is stocked with the right goods! Happy planning!!!

18 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't throw in the towel! Your porkchops look wonderful and 40 minutes sounds good to me. I think they might make an appearance on my menu for next week. As always, thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I was waiting for this! I use the recipes you post with minor changes, so far things have been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so yummy! I want to try it out tonight!

    xoxo, Jjanga
    www.sayhelloandsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually doing the pork chops this week for my meal plans... I'm glad that they turned out yummy for you. That burger looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you have any other tricks for the sweet potato fries to make them crispy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. janis- for crispy i cut them real thin and leave them in the oven at 350 for a long time. until they are crispy! but check on them, cause you don't want them to burn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm lovely your recipe planning posts! I made the breaded chicken you posted about for my family - it was easy and delic! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we write out our weekly menu on a calendar- every sunday. i now have three years of them filled out- and they are fun records to keep!
    i tried the oven fried chicken last week. it was especially good the next day (cold), but i pretty much only like chicken in adobo:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog and find it inspiring to see your beautiful family... but how about a couple of vegetarian meals in your meal planning? I am disappointed to see how much meat is in your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That second pic loks delicious!!! Love sweet potato fries!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried the apple honey drumstick recipe last night, and I could not get the sauce to make a glaze for the LIFE of me. It was reallllly frustrating, really glad I had some good BBQ sauce hangin' out in the back of the fridge. I hope yours turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, trying not to be crazy about the sauce, but... I saved some from last night, it was cold, added a little cornstarch and warmed it again, and voila! Thick like a glaze, so DEF add cornstarch to the sauce before you heat it up and it will probably turn out wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. happyinthehibiscus- okay. thanks! will make sure to remember that. did it come out yummy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. yumm!! excellent choices. I didn't realize you were a good cook as well, i thought that was all your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how do you do the writing on the side of your photo?! Is it your handwriting? It's adorable. like "thursday: cheddar BLT..." And I love your fiesta ware...it makes food look so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks amazing!

    run-style-run.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. you're doing really good. :) your food looks and sounds delish! planning meals in difficult...i myself have a husband who eats like a picky 7 year old, so i have to sneak veggies in where i can. it's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yuuuumy

    looks good....
    you can join as
    http://the-oriental-kitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...