February 29, 2012

MAKING MOCHI CAKE

making mochi cake
making mochi cakemaking mochi cakemaking mochi cakemaking mochi cakemaking mochi cakemaking mochi cakemaking mochi cake
making mochi cake
After breakfast, we spent some baking. It is a good way to teach the girls sequential order and reinforcing following directions. I pretty much measure it all out for them and separate it in bowls and they just put it all together and mix. Brave did the flour mixture and True was in charge of the liquids. Lots of good things always come out of baking.

This is a cake first introduced to me from my BFF when she made it. I always like Asian desserts cause they are mildly sweet. Though, I really do love all desserts mildly sweet or super sweet... they all taste good to me.

Mochi Cake |from Week of Menus, originally from Gourmet Magazine 2005|
* I changed the ingredients up a bit, but pretty much followed the directions.

1 lb box of Mochiko Flour
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 - 14 oz cans of low fat coconut milk
5 large eggs
1/2 stick of melted butter (allow to cool)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

The recipe said to put in the oven for an hour and a half, but ours only needed to be in the oven for 50 minutes and it was ready, so I would watch closely to determine its readiness. Also, I wanted less sugar in ours and I used low fat coconut milk. I think it came out fine and the girls seem to like it, but if I trying this type of cake for the first time, I would say follow the original recipe exactly. It isn't as sweet as I have had it in the past, but it is still sweet enough. Our favorite part of the cake were the edges. The edges are tasty! I think next time when I make this, I might do it in a cupcake pan sans liner, so there will be a whole lot of edges!

We made it after breakfast, but the girls waited until snack time (4 pm) in the afternoon to eat it. Judging from how fast it went, I think they would say it was worth the wait! This recipe might be next on the list.

23 comments:

  1. OH YUMMM! We call this Bibingka in the Philippines. It's so good. My favorite part of the cake is the edges. In our house, if you're not quick, all the edges and the top layer of the cake is gone and you're left with only the naked middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Looks great! Yeah! I was going to say it looks kinda like Bibingka =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything that WEEK OF MENUS' makes is delish. I'm her biggest fan. ... remember that one time she left a comment on your blog, I was totally star struck?!?!?!

    She also tried the mochi cake in cupcake tin and said it was good but it changed the texture of the mochi... not as chewy. Tell me which one tastes better... I'm too lazy to bake these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This sounds so good. xo, rv

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. venus & maylanie- bibingka! that's right... that is what it reminded me of. is the recipe exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've never made it but looks like the ingredients are similar to Bibingka. I've had Bibingka Cassava, Bibingka Malagkit, even variations with shredded coconut and cheese. What you made looks similar to what my Nanang use to make. Yes, the edges are the best! Ahhh I miss these treats! I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm... This looks delicious!!
    And it looks like you girls had fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yummy and I love your reasoning behind teaching the girls how to bake :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Mochi! :) In Korea it's been a big hit, if you like ice creams you should look up Patbingsu! Your girls will love it, it's my favorite and super healthy!

    xoxo, Jjanga
    www.sayhelloandsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks so fantastically yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am excited to try I LOVE mochi! and I was on a mission a month ago to make some, I went to the Asian Market and got the same rice flour you have and I had two recipes to go with one in the oven and one in the microwave, both of them turned out really bad! I was so disappointed! The oven one never really settled and got hard it stayed this gooey watery around the edges, and tasted like sweet oatmeal (which I do like but if I am going to eat oatmeal might was well get the healthy fiber and not sugar right haha!) and the other one tasted like pie dough. I still have lots of left over ingredients so maybe I will try your recipe and hopefully it comes out better for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! Is Mochi gluten-free? I would LOVE to do this with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am not sure. but i know your kids will love it!

      Delete
  13. Love it, pinned it, can't wait to make it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh ruby, why is it that everytime u post a recipe I go running to the store to buy ingredients? that Ibarra mexican hot chocolate is too good, I've had one every night since I bought it. and now this... but since it requires turning on the oven (emptying it first coz i also use it for storage hehehe), i might have to hold off till next week. so for now I'll just sip my coffee while looking at your pictures. have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sharyl! seriously... you are the baker. i am sure you can make this more delicious than i could!

      Delete
  15. YUM! I am terrified to make this - i'm so afraid I would mess it up. Maybe I have some more courage now, seeing how well you did. Thanks for such a unique recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was totally easy! seriously. you will love it!

      Delete
  16. This looks amazing. Going to convince the BF to drive me to the Asian Market today thru the snow storm just so we can have it for dessert tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As the post shows some of exotic way to create this Mochi Cake. I am truly surprised to see the elegant conception of this source. It's truly looking most promising to get the same taste cake. It's really looking delicious and with full of fun. Thanks for sharing.

    scrapbook paper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Add coconut shavings and its BABINKA!! yummy :3

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...