July 28, 2011

snap it pretty :: a photography workshop

Danni and I started planning this workshop in February and had a location picked out in March, but then life happened and we didn't have it until July! Thankfully, we had 15 wonderful ladies be brave enough to test out our first workshop ever and we think it went pretty well. We are so thankful for their emails and evaluations and now know what we did well and what to do better for next time. We are so excited to have another soon!

Our featured photographer who was sharing the know-how part of the workshop was Jennifer Young from I ART U. It is great to have someone who knows her camera, has great pictures, but is also very familiar with the blogging world. She was the perfect fit for Danni and me!

I think Danni and I were a ball of nerves, but super excited and couldn't wait to get the show on the road. We had one heavy crafting day and about 300 emails going back and forth between the two of us. It was pretty crazy for a couple of weeks; plus throw in my rascally 3 girls and her insane craft shows, and you just have two crazy ladies running around with our heads cut off. Our husbands are patient men (Thanks Ben and Nick!).

The workshop was held at the beautiful George Key Ranch and ran from mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Danni and I love making things looks pretty, hence our email welikeitpretty(at)gmail(dot)com, so we wanted everything to be absolutely perfect for all our guests! I hope they enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed planning and making everything perfect for them.

At the welcome table, we had handmade crepe paper flower pins for name tags, moleskine notebooks with a cute little camera stamp, pens, and a little program for the day.
snap it prettysnap it prettysnap it prettysnap it prettysnap it pretty
For the "talk" of the day, the ladies sat on vintage folding chairs and we hung up a little backdrop on the trees.
snap it prettysnap it pretty
After the "talking" portion, everyone had an opportunity to practice what they learned. There were various lighting conditions with the bright sun and shading for the trees that you definitely got to practice adjusting for the varying brightness.
snap it prettysnap it pretty
We had a pretty table set up with all the lunch goodies. The sandwiches were from Rialto Cafe, cake pops from local baker Pop Culture Desserts, and macarons flown in from Salt City Patisserie, baked chips and drinks. We made fabric wraps to wrap the sandwiches and chips together; it was color coordinated depending on the type of sandwich they ordered. I must say, I loved both the cake pops and the macarons so much! But I am a dessert girl, so it ain't hard to please me in that area. We laid picnic blankets out for everyone to sit and everyone was chatting up a storm and usually it involved blogging. What more do you expect?!
snap it prettysnap it prettysnap it prettysnap it prettysnap it prettysnap it prettysnap it pretty
After lunch, we had two stations set up with boxes full of props. We separated everyone into a Nikon or Canon group and they went at it styling their little table. Both groups did great and were so natural at it that I want them to come over and decorate my house now! After they styled their areas, everyone practice snapping away at those and just continued with the area surrounding them.
snap it pretty
Danni and I could have not done this day without these two ladies... RJ and Linda. They are simply the best in letting us boss them around and doing everything with such a cheerful heart! We love you guys!!!
snap it pretty
The workshop ended with some questions and Danni and me sharing our tips for taking good pictures. We don't claim to be pros, but we just shared the little things we do know and use for our own pictures.
snap it pretty
Of course, we couldn't end the day without without raffling off some pretty cool camera goods. We had 4 big raffles: This Lisa Leonard necklace, a polaroid camera, a Ketti Handbags camera bag, and this bag from JoTotes. Seriously, such good prizes. If that ain't enough, anyone who didn't win a "big" raffle prize went home with an iMo camera strap. On top of that, we had a goody box for every single person to take home. There was so much goodness in those boxes that those boxes (and the raffle goods) will get its own post, just so we can outline each little goody. Seriously.
snap it pretty
The best part of the day was getting to spend time with all of the lovely ladies. Making new friends is always a good thing. Everyone was so kind and sweet and it was seeing their excitement that makes us want to do this all over again!

Bloggers in attendance were: Cinthya from Lo Fidelity Love, Tiffany from See the Skyline, Katie from A Day with Kate, Kira from Her New Leaf, Bri from Hello I am Bri, Becky from Little Wickies, and Vivien from The Eclectic Life. If you check out these blogs you will also see their views and thoughts of the workshop. Sorry if I missed anyone, but just leave me the link in the comments and I will correct it.

And if the picture overload wasn't enough, well, here is a little video of our day (if you read in google reader, the video won't come up)...
Above photos courtesy of Jen and Danni. And a huge thank you to Salt City Patisserie & Pop Culture Desserts for sharing with us their delicious sweets!

Danni and I are definitely planning more workshops soon, so if you are interested be ready...

25 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I'm glad it went well! I love all the pretties you guys had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a successful workshop! everything looked so pretty! so wish i could have went. let me know when the next one is and maybe I can arrange a trip down south to coincide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aawwwe, Ruby, the video came out soooo cute! great job! It was sooo fun! I can't wait for more! You guys did good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You and Danni are seriously amazing! This is awesome!! I'd love, love, love to come to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruby,
    You guys did an amazing job!!
    Glad I could play a small part of it! I hope to work with you & Danni again real soon!!

    Andrea,
    Salt City Patisserie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot tell you enough how much I enjoyed the event, you guys did such an awesome job! The video is great! I hope that I will be in town for any future workshops, thanks again for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh, gorgeousness! I'm so bummed I missed this and didn't see it until it was too late to plan for it :( I most definitely want to sign up if you have another. My camera has been sitting all alone for way to LONG of a time,,,it's time to break it out again.

    You girls are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the workshop was so fantastic! I already feel like a pro snapping pictures of my son - and I've had a session with my husband to teach him the Manual magic too. Thank you so much for hosting, and I'm looking forward to future workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i only wished i lived closer...this looks amazing. a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely LOVELY! I really wish I lived in California and not the midwest! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for a wonderful day, Ruby!! Your hard work was obvious and it made for a great experience. I look forward to hearing about the next workshop!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your workshop! I love all the props and details. Looks like it was a great afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to participate in your next workshop! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Id really love to do this here in our area - any tips??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruby... give this some serious thought: Online classes are popular right now and I've taken several through Pikaland and Jamie Shelman. If you just documented the lessons through photos and words, you could offer an online class to the rest of the world! I LOVE your photography and so does everyone else which is a big reason your blog is so popular. If you want to know more about how the classes I took worked, just email me (or call)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what program did you use for the video, I like the style. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for setting up a great little day! Everything was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the song in the video - who's it by??

    ReplyDelete
  19. angeline petalfoot- i use imovie.

    erin- freelance whales. i totally forgot to link to the song. thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  20. can you guys do a workshop over here on the east coast? hehe. this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks incredible! I wish I could've gone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the photos. love the treats. love the location. love the decor. love the video. love everything about it. i wish i didn't live so far away - wisconsin needs "snap it pretty" to come visit pleeeease. :) cakies & oh, hello friend have fans way out here in dairy land. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wish I could have been there! Wow! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. that looks SO FUN!! I love it ladies!! Y'all are so fun (and so helpful! I know new bloggers have got to love learning about photoshop. I would SO have attended in a heartbeat if I was near you guys!!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sad to have missed this! being a former So. Cal gal I would have love to attend meet all you fine ladies.

    xo
    Mer

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...