December 6, 2010

vintage here, vintage there: vintage mama karen

vintage here, vintage there
Meet vintage loving mama Karen Salazar! She is the creative brain behind Misha Lulu (though she works alongside her husband Joe, and other members of the family), a funky line of children clothing, that is modern, but still has a vintage vibe. I first met Karen at a trunk show she held at our mutual friend's children boutique. I just remember being in awe at how cool she was dressed! Seriously folks, she was dressed head to toe in cool (and if you ever meet her little Bela, she is just as cool as her mama!)! Well, since then we have become fast friends and she is just one of the sweetest and kindest person you will ever meet (and probably the most fashionable). She never disappoints in her outfits (and Bela's outfits) as she just has a knack in putting the most wonderful color and patterns together. We are so excited to have her share about her vintage love and outfits this week!
vintage here, vintage there
vintage dress: given by best friend Renee


Q: When did you start wearing vintage and why?
A: When I was a teenager, I fell in love with vintage clothing. I remember going through my mom and dad's closet and wearing their young days outfits and accessories like my mom's bags and shoes.

I used to especially love my dad's clothing! I would wear his pants super high and loose and belt them. Sometimes, I even wear his coats. Growing up in El Salvador, it was not a common thing to do this, but i just loved to get the most intriguing looks. Vintage finds are part of our lives!
vintage here, vintage there
on bela: wool vest, thrifted. dress, vintage girl scout dress from a friend's mom.


Q: What do you look for in a piece when you're shopping?
A: I think I am most attracted to anything that is very graphic or has some type of print and is very visual. 1950's, 60's and 70's are my favorite eras to buy. I have also been blessed with the nicest friends who have given me so many of the vintage outfits I own these days.
vintage here, vintage there
on bela: vintage dress found at the thrift.


Q: Favorite vintage find to date?
A: My mom's 1960's tweed skirt and jacket suit, and Bela's girl scout dress that used to belong to my friend's mom.
vintage here, vintage there
shoes: vintage found at the rose bowl flea market


Q: The one piece that got away (or would've broken the bank!):
A: Striped high-waisted jeans that were priced to expensive and I could not afford!
vintage here, vintage there
on karen: vintage sweater top, aardvarks. skirt, thrifted. jacket, vintage gift from aunt. on bela: sweater, vintage but shrank so now it is bela's... lucky girl!

Q: How do you style your daughter(s)?
A: I like to mix and match vintage and new pieces on her, but lately she likes to pick her own outfits. We love to go thrifting together and find those precious items that are so hard to find these days. She always finds the weirdest and odd pieces at the thrift stores, estate sales and vintage stores that she wants to buy. My favorite places to look for clothing are thrift stores, vintage stores, and etsy.
vintage here, vintage there
on karen: dress, vintage from estate sale. belt, vintage from another dress. boots, urban outfitters. on bela: dress, vintage gift from ruby (that's me!)


Q: Favorite sources for vintage online?
vintage here, vintage there
on karen: vintage krizia dress, gifted from a friend. belt, gift. bag, joe's grandma.


I personally am always so inspired by Karen's creativeness that overflows into her thoughtfulness, her faith, Misha Lulu, stylings, and love for all those around her!!! If you haven't seen Karen's new fall/winter line, check it out here or do some shopping in the surplus shop and you can keep up to date and learn more about her through the Misha Lulu blog. Thank you Karen for taking part in our "vintage here, vintage there"!!!

***** vintage mama features *****
vintage here, vintage there: vintage mama heather

Stay tuned because tonight because Rachel and I will be sharing our own "vintage here, vintage there" and next week's feature will be the lovely Miss James from Bleubird Vintage...

6 comments:

  1. Ruby: Thank you so much for doing this! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with all these outfits!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool! Love vintage finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome!

    And little Bela is just too adorable!

    Love these special posts, look forward to more!

    ~Michele
    www.etsy.com/shop/chelebert12

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that picture of Karen and Bela in her hallway! they are both just so beautiful! i LOVE Karen's style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FABULOUS! I love cool, vintag-y moms. I like to think I am one too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...