January 7, 2010

the chalkboard canvas

I have had this vision of a chalkboard canvas for so long now and asked Ben to make it for me for Christmas. It was all I wanted along with an email to this company to try and finish our wedding video, which was almost 5 years ago. Anyways, like usual, Ben was able to deliver both requests, though we are still waiting for a reply to his email.

On Christmas morning, I got my chalkboard canvas and True got something special along with it. Anytime Ben asked her what she wanted for Christmas, she would say, "Snow." We have no idea where she got that idea, but that is what she wanted. Living in southern California we really couldn't give her that, so the next best option was Ben drew her snow.

True and I were both happy girls.
the chalkboard canvas
I love children's art and wanted some grand way to display it, so I thought of a chalkboard canvas. Plus, I just love any kind of chalkboard so much!

Ben just took a large canvas and painted it with chalkboard paint. That way it is light enough to hang up and take down to draw on anytime. The girls had a blast drawing on it for the first time, but they did fight about who gets to draw on what side.
updating the canvas


Introducing their first official installment on the chalkboard canvas. The wonderful thing is that we can change it up weekly!
their art
We have our very own priceless piece of modern art hanging in our family room done by two of the world's greatest artists.

Happy weekend everyone!!!

28 comments:

  1. I love this! And your photos are gorgeous--what a beautiful home you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously awesome! Your style is so free and comfy. It makes me think of springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun and what a great idea!

    xoxo~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabulous ideas just keep on coming.. that's why this is my fave blog & I always make sure I visit this one first for any updates b/c i always know there will be something so awesome on here. I never would have thought of putting chalkboard paint on canvas but I love it... especially since the art will always change. :) Maybe you could have knitted/crocheted up some snowballs for True. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben did a great job. I love his drawing! He could have his very own etsy shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The artwork Ben did is so divine! You should make it into a card! These idea is Fabulosa as usual Miss Martha and husband!
    lots of love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I Love it! Thanks for sharing and your baby is beyond beautiful, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally copying this idea
    brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this idea. I love it! I don't have any small children, but I think my art would look similar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the little finger prints on the "Let it Snow" drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too, TOO fun!!! What a fabulous room you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I stumbled upon your blog early this afternoon and have been lost in it for hours. You and your family are an inspiration. It literally turned my day around. Thank you.

    - hgv

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's just a canvas? wow! i love how do-able this is!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love children's artwork too-what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sensational idea! You photos belong in a magazine. I love the way you presented them. You have a real eye for art. I look forward to doing the same for our home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I have a question for you, as I am a new crafter...what do you do with all your creations? Like, the garland you made for New Years. It must have taken quite a bit of time--do you just throw it away after the party or do you store it somewhere? Your house (in the pictures) never looks crowded over with crafted things. Do you have over-stuffed closets hiding somewhere, or do you just say, "well, we enjoyed it, now I'll throw it away"??

    I have been wondering about this, because I don't like to throw away something when I've spent oodles of time on it, but I don't want to become a pack-rat either.
    Thanks, Rubyellen! I love your blog to pieces, btw. It is adorable and your family is adorable.
    love! Kelsey :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love your canvas! just heard your sweet true asking for snow and it reminded me of when we lived in LA and i bought tickets to a snow day in a park there. my daughter was tiny and i thought it'd be fun to take her to see the snow- they were going to cart in a whole park's worth of snow and do sledding and all! well it was too hot that year and they cancelled it- but worth a look. wishing it would stop snowing in london right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. awesome! love it when there is a new creative idea you can actually do!
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did the videographer not complete or deliver your Wedding DVD yet? How aweful! I am experiencing the same predicament myself and it is sad and frustrating to say the least. =(

    ReplyDelete
  22. This has to be one of the greatest ideas. Especially for those of us with young children and for those of us that can't commit to art.
    OnceUponAParent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...